SmartIntern's Shanghai Internship Launch Program is an ALL-inclusive internship package designed to help you focus on what really matters- building your career.
At SmartIntern, we decided early on that we would never be a company whose success is built on sending hundreds upon hundreds of students through a one-size-fits-all internship program. That's just not us. So instead of building an "internship factory", we decided to build a company that gives each participant the individual career guidance they need to succeed, while placing them in an internship that has been customized to their skills and ambitions.
Our success depends on your success, and we give participants a level of attention and career guidance unmatched by any company. We do this through:
- An internship with one of our carefully selected partner companies. For the entrepreneurs in our program, we have strong partnerships with Shanghai-based SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), while for our future Fortune 500 executives will find ample opportunity one of our MNC (multinational corporation) partners.
- An entire year of access to over 2,000 Mandarin Chinese podcasts. Even if you only intern for a month, you'll get access to an entire year of digital Chinese lessons that you can use to study anywhere, anytime!
- Our customized Career Blueprints, which you receive upon completion of your program. Your personal Career Blueprint will explain in detail the opportunities we see in your particular industry, how you can use your newly-acquired China experience to pursue them, and where in the world these opportunities are projected to grow. No fluff, just concrete, actionable insights customized to your unique situation.
- Our Work Smarter Seminar, in which everyone meets together for an afternoon of learning how to work smarter and more efficiently to deliver results in today's global economy. This seminar covers everything from how to you can use cold emails to set up a meeting with anyone to how to set up a LinkedIn profile that gets found in Google when recruiters search your name (which they will).
- LinkedIn Optimization- Speaking of LinkedIn, did we tell you that we work side-by-side with you to create a LinkedIn profile and resume that effectively communicates your personal brand, your experience, and what you stand for to potential employers?
- A monthly Mastermind Call, where everyone gets together to share their experiences and challenges in China, motivate one another, and strengthen bonds that we hope will last a lifetime. We also periodically invite successful entrepreneurs and business people in Shanghai to join us on these calls and share their wisdom.
Shanghai Internship Overview
Upon acceptance into Shanghai Launch (our Internship in Shanghai program), you will receive one-on-one guidance from a counselor, who will advise you on how to obtain a visa in your home country and help you prepare for living and working in Shanghai. This is a great opportunity to ask all those questions you have about life in China.
Arrival in Shanghai, China
When you arrive in Shanghai, usually on the first Thursday of a month, you will be greeted by a SmartIntern employee who will transport you to your accommodation, a serviced apartment in a modern high-rise. During this time you will be provided with a pre-charged cell phone, metro transport card, city map, and survival Chinese handbook. From the airport, we transport you to your apartment so that you can rest.
The next evening, you will meet up with SmartIntern staff and the other interns for a Welcome Dinner. The dinner will consist of authentic Chinese food and plenty of pi jiu (beer, or 啤酒) for those inclined. This meal is a great time to get a taste of China and the experience you are in for over the next few months, as well as get to know some of the people who will make your stay memorable.
Your Shanghai Internship
During internships in Shanghai, interns work Monday through Friday at their partner company. We are selective about the companies we work with, and will place you in a company with an English-speaking manager, and opportunities for mentorship. While we cannot guarantee a job offer following your internship, we strive to put interns in positions with long-term career potential.
We like to get everyone together from time to time for fun events. For example, we take a monthly trip to a historic place in the Shanghai area, like the famed Zhujiajiao Water Town, or visit the French Concession by bike. We also work with a local charity group to organize a charity day for interns and SmartIntern staff during which we give back to the local community.
We also provide interns with a Shanghai Events Calendar that compiles the many events that will be happening while you are in Shanghai. We have many resources in Shanghai, so if you are interested in a particular activity, just let us know and we can introduce you to the right people.
Work Smarter Seminar
Our Work Smarter seminar teaches you how to harness the latest technological developments to build your brand on-and-offline. From Resume/CV and LinkedIn Optimization to networking tricks and tips, we teach you how to build a strong digital presence that catches the eye of potential employers and business partners. Our exclusive Work Smarter seminar also gives you the latest in tricks, tips, and hacks to leverage technology to maximize your impact in the workplace and the world.
You'll also get...
Housing in City Center
Shanghai Event Calendar
Certificate of Completion